The Best Spices to Support Weight Loss
This blog has not been approved by your local health department and is not intended to provide diagnosis, treatment, or medical advice.
The secret to successful weight loss may be hiding in the spices that are commonly used in households each day. By adding more spices to a daily diet, people might experience a boost in metabolism and an improved ability to regulate blood sugar.
Chemical compounds contained within certain spices had dramatic physiological effects, boosting the ability to lose weight. These spices are quite common and can easily be added to recipes for their benefits.
Black Pepper for Weight Loss
India and many other cultures have used this spice for thousands of years to flavor food. A group of researchers from the Sri Venkateswara University was determined to evaluate the spice more closely. They were particularly interested in the piperonal or piperine component. Pepper was included in the diets of half the laboratory animals over the course of six weeks. At the end of the study, the researchers found that the animals eating black pepper had a lower percentage of body fat along with reduced blood sugar levels and stronger bones.
Add a kick to any beverage by adding a pinch of black pepper. The spice is also easily added to favorite recipes using infused oil.
Black Pepper-Infused Oil for Recipes
- Simmer the peppercorns and garlic cloves in the oil over a low heat setting for at least 20 minutes.
- Allow the mix to cool.
- Transfer the infused oil to a clean jar or bottle and cover.
Cardamom for Weight Loss
The sweet, fragrant spice remains a popular staple in preparing dishes in India along with turmeric. The spices are also often ingredients used in Ayurvedic medicine. Studies performed by scientists in India and China found that the common spice prevents fat accumulation around the midriff in addition to lowering cholesterol levels. Cardamom also helps the body eliminate excess fluid, reduces bloating and normalizes blood sugar. The spice can be used to flavor soups, stews, fruit or vegetables dishes.
Cardamom Tea Mix
- 2 cups water
- 4 tsp. Raw Honey
- 1 Tbs. fresh ginger root, minced
- 1/2 tsp. Cardamom
- 6 green tea bags
- 1 1/2 cups fat-free or low-fat milk
- Combine the cardamom, ginger, honey and water in a saucepan.
- Bring the mix to a boil.
- Reduce the heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Pour the solution over the tea bags in a 4-cup glass measuring cup.
- Allow the tea to steep for three to five minutes.
- Remove the tea bags and strain the tea.
- Stir in the milk and heat if needed.
Cayenne Pepper for Weight Loss
This common spice has been used for more than 9,000 years in cuisine and as a medicinal ingredient across the globe. Cayenne's health benefits are many: In topical ointments, the compound capsaicin acts as a powerful analgesic. When taken internally, cayenne inhibits blood's clotting ability and lowers cholesterol. Studies performed in recent years also equate the spice with weight loss. A mere 7.68 milligrams of capsaicin have been shown to help the body burn calories and fat faster.
Spicy Tropical Smoothie Recipe
- 4 cups almond milk or low-fat cow's milk
- 1 mandarin orange peeled, sectioned and seeded
- 1 cup mango chunks
- 1 Tbs. Raw Honey
- 1/8 tsp. Cayenne
- Put all of the ingredients in a blender and puree until smooth.
- Add more milk for a thinner smoothie.
Chili Peppers for Weight Loss
Chili peppers are the vegetables used to make cayenne pepper. Many brave people enjoy eating the peppers raw. The peppers can also be cooked and incorporated into many different dishes to reap the benefits of the fat-burning effects.
Homemade Chili Pepper Sauce Mix
- 1/4 pound of chili peppers
- 2 to 3 jalapeno peppers
- 2 cherry peppers
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled and trimmed
- 1 tsp. of salt
- 2 cups of vinegar
- Put the ingredients into a medium saucepan and bring the combination to a boil.
- Reduce the heat, cover and simmer the mix for 20 minutes.
- Pour the combination into a blender and puree.
- Strain the sauce to eliminate the seeds.
- Return the sauce to the pot and boil.
- Once the mixture comes to a boil, turn off the heat and allow to cool.
- Pour the sauce into a jar and refrigerate.
Cinnamon for Weight Loss
The majority of households have this common spice, which is used to flavor beverages, fruits and baked goods. Many studies performed around the world indicate that the cinnamaldehyde oil that provides cinnamon's flavor can aid in weight loss endeavors. Some research suggests that the spice helps curb appetite while others believe that the oil prevents fat accumulation. Add a dash of cinnamon to morning coffee or oatmeal.
Garlic for Weight Loss
Garlic is known to have antimicrobial properties along with having the ability to lower LDL, or bad cholesterol. Studies indicate that the popular vegetable also contains phytochemical compounds, which more efficiently break down fats in order for the body to remove them. Some researchers believe that garlic may prevent the body from building fat.
Roasted Garlic and Herbs Mushrooms
- 1 pound of mushrooms
- 2 Tbs. Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 minced garlic clove
- 1 Tbs. balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp. Thyme
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Line a baking sheet with foil.
- Combine and mix the mushrooms, oil, salt and pepper in a bowl.
- Spread the combination evenly on the cookie sheet.
- Roast on a low rack for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Turn the mushrooms and roast for an additional 10 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and toss the mixture with the garlic, thyme and vinegar.
Ginger for Weight Loss
This Chinese spice is commonly equated with holiday cookies and other baked goods. Ginger is often used as an alternative medicine to combat nausea and respiratory congestion. However, studies suggest that hot beverages containing the spice could reduce hunger pangs and help the body break down and eliminate fats.
Easy Homemade Ginger Tea Recipes
- 1 tsp. chopped or grated fresh ginger root
- 1 cup boiling water
- Raw Honey to taste
- Put the ginger in a cheesecloth or tea infuser.
- Put the cloth or infuser into a mug.
- Add the water and steep for five to 10 minutes.
- Remove the ginger and add honey to taste.
Mustard for Weight Loss
The common condiment is most often associated with sandwiches and hot dogs. In fact, mustard is loaded with vitamins and minerals. Studies suggest that the spice has the ability to increase metabolism by up to 25 percent. The effect lasts for several hours after consumption. Instead of reaching for mayonnaise, consider using mustard. The spice can also be used to create a tasty salad dressing.
Simple Mustard Vinaigrette Mix
- 1 mashed clove of garlic
- 2 Tbs. balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp. Dijon mustard
- 5 to 6 Tbs. Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Add the garlic, mustard and vinegar to a bowl.
- Slowly add the olive oil while continually whisking.
- Add a pinch each of parsley, thyme, salt and pepper as desired.
- Store in a clean jar in the refrigerator.